The savory combination of dried alliums, seeds, and salt, that typically tops an “everything” bagel can be used for so much more (see suggested uses below). Try making your own crunchy seasoning mix and adding it to your favorite snacks, side dishes, or proteins for that special, familiar pop of flavor and texture.
“Everything” Spice Mix
1 tablespoon dried garlic
1 tablespoon dried onion
2 teaspoons poppy seeds
2 teaspoons sesame seeds
1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
Combine the dried spices with the seeds and salt. Transfer the mixture to a small jar and keep for up to 6 months.
- Sprinkle on avocado and smoked salmon toast for a healthier version of an “everything” bagel with cream cheese and salmon.
- Add the distinct “everything” flavor to mashed potatoes or cauliflower puree.
- Toss the spice mixture with roasted potatoes, roasted root vegetables, or sauteed green beans.
- Season plain or roasted red pepper hummus with the crunchy seasoning for a texture and flavor boost.
- Coat a pan seared pork tenderloin or salmon filet with Dijon mustard before rolling in a mixture of breadcrumbs and “everything” spice, then finish in the oven.
- Add to a simple vinaigrette, such as 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard, 1 teaspoon “everything” spice mixture, 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar, and 3 tablespoons canola oil; whisk or shake in a jar until combined.
- Sprinkle on top of a mild, baked macaroni and cheese.
- Spice up a cheese platter by rolling a log of goat cheese in the savory spice combination.