So what started as dodging a bullet with a “day-to-day” situation has turned into a starting pitching nightmare for the Red Sox as lefthanded up-and-comer Eduardo Rodriguez has had a setback in his quest to return to the big league rotation.

Red Sox manager John Farrell announced Tuesday that E-Rod would miss his scheduled start in Pawtucket due to knee soreness.

“There’s been a little bit of a development here with Eduardo,” Farrell said Tuesday on WEEI’s Dale & Holley show. “He was scheduled for a start on Thursday. He was feeling some occasional soreness in that right knee. People have asked, ‘What are the updates on Eduardo?’ and the questions around velocity, the question around performance. I think any time you’re dealing with a pitcher and a player that’s coming back, you’re always kind of focusing in on that last five, 10 percent of effort. There’s been some restriction that Eduardo has felt, and as he has described this occasional soreness, we don’t want to put him at risk and we’re holding him out of that start on Thursday.”

That’s Red Sox code for August. But hopefully he’s back in June.

The 23-year-old Rodriguez twisted his right knee doing a drill that required him to field baseballs in the outfield in Fort Myers on February 27.

“I just do what they say, and they tell me I’m fine and I just have to go day by day,” Rodriguez said the day after the injury in February. “Like they say, it’s not serious like that. Just swollen.”

Rodriguez has a 4.29 ERA in four starts for the PawSox this spring and threw 100 pitches on Saturday, giving up two solo home runs to Gwinnett. He went 10-6 with a 3.85 ERA as a rookie starter in 2015.

This news also means the rush the run Clay Buchholz out of the rotation has slowed to a grinding halt.

Buchholz — who has allowed five runs in five of his eight starts — was already told by Farrell that he would remain in the rotation despite his 6.11 ERA.

Also on the injury front, reliever Carson Smith tells’s John Tomase that he’s been limited in his return from an arm injury.

“Sometimes I feel great the next day,” Smith said. “Sometimes there may be a hint of something there. They told me that’s what happens with these types of injuries, so we’re just taking it day by day.”