Pablo Sandoval is going under the knife. We’re not sure about the fork.
The Red Sox announced today that Sandoval will undergo surgery on his left shoulder. The procedure will be performed in the coming days by Dr. James Andrews in Pensacola, Fla.
Told by a source Sandoval faces “significant” surgery and a lengthy rehab. Odds against him playing this season. More known post-surgery
— Pete Abraham (@PeteAbe) May 3, 2016
The team will make comment and provide additional information about the surgery at the completion of the procedure.
The 29-year-old Sandoval was placed on the disabled list on April 13 (retroactive to April 11) with a left shoulder strain. The Venezuelan native has appeared in three games (one start) for Boston this season and was 0-for-6 at the plate with a walk. He’s in the second year of a five-year, $95 million contract with your Red Sox.
Pablo Sandoval to Dr. Andrews: "Here's $2 million to whack my shoulder with a sledgehammer, take an MRI, and shush." pic.twitter.com/cS526hJItl
— Steve Silva (@stevesilva) April 16, 2016
Red Sox manager John Farrell could not say when Sandoval hurt his shoulder but did tell reporters in April that getting Sandoval out of the spotlight here in Boston might be a big help.
“It’s been a real tough start,” Farrell told reporters last month. “He’s been an easy target. We had a chance to sit and talk with him about that specifically. First and foremost we have to get him right physically to get past the shoulder issue. If a breather gives him a chance to maybe step away from the scrutiny he’s under, we’ll make every effort to have that take place. I still firmly believe that Panda is going to be a contributor to this team. We’re going to need him to be because there’s a darn good player in there. And we’ve got to continue to work to get that out.”
Pablo Sandoval talks about his injury pic.twitter.com/YtJejMymIt
— Evan Drellich (@EvanDrellich) April 13, 2016
“I’m feeling good,” Sandoval said last week at Fenway. “What am I doing? Nothing, just cardio and icing.” Panda also said at the time he did not know if the injury would require surgery.
Source: Sandoval's contract with #RedSox is not insured.
— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) May 3, 2016
Red Sox president Dave Dombrowski told WEEI’s Ordway, Merloni, and Fauria show last Wednesday that Sandoval does not have a weight mandate related to his returning to action with the big club.
In April, Yahoo!’s Jeff Passan wrote that major league sources have said that Sandoval only wants to remain in Boston if he can play every day, and the Red Sox have no intention of playing him unless he loses weight.
Panda also embarrassed himself with the Snap Heard ‘Round the World during the first week of the season.
In March, Sandoval snapped at a reporter who wrote about his declining defense. Shortly thereafter, Travis Shaw was named the starting third baseman.
Shaw has taken advantage of his starting role at third base by batting .322/.390/.533 through 25 games.